This Raw Vegan Zebra cake is a delightful dessert not only for the ones who follow a raw vegan diet but even for those who doesn’t. The cake is made with a chocolaty nutty crust and a smooth creamy filling, alternating vanilla with blueberry and blackberry filling.
To print the recipe check the full recipe on my blog:
Makes 8-10 servings
1 cup (100g) pecans (or walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts)
1/2 cup (60g) dates, pitted (about 8-10 dates)
2 tbsp (16g) unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tbsp (10g) unsweetened shredded coconut
1 tsp (5ml) water
1/4 tsp (1g) salt
2 cups (280g) raw cashews (soaked for 4-6 hrs or overnight)
1/3 cup (120g) liquid sweetener, (pure maple syrup, agave syrup or honey )
1/2 cup (100g) coconut oil, melted
1 tbsp (10g) vanilla extract
4 tbsp (60ml) lemon juice, from about one large lemon
For Berry Filling
1/2 cup (75g) frozen blackberries
1/2 cup (75g) frozen blueberries
1. Prepare the crust: Place nuts (I’ve used pecans), dates, shredded coconut, cocoa powder in the bowl of a food processor and process until crumbs form. Add water and process some more until the mixture is well combined and stick together when squeezed between your fingers.
2. Press the crust mixture into the bottom of a 7 inch (18cm) springform pan using your fingers or the back of a tablespoon or even the bottom of a glass. Set aside while you prepare the filling.
3. Prepare the filling. Add all ingredients for vanilla base, pre-soaked cashews, lemon juice, liquid sweetener, melted coconut oil and vanilla extract into the bowl of a blender and process until creamy and smooth.
4. Transfer in a bowl a bit more than half of vanilla mixture.
5. Add frozen blackberries and blueberries over the remaining vanilla mixture into the blender and process until well combined and smooth. Transfer the mixture into a bowl.
6. Assembly. Use a tablespoon for each mixture to create the zebra effect. Begin from the middle of the pan, take one spoon of vanilla mixture and add it over the crust then over it add a spoon of berry mixture and repeat this steps until all batter has been used.
7. Rap the pan for few times, cover and freeze for at least 2 hours.
8. Store the cake in the freezer, but leave it out for 15 minutes to thaw out before serving. Decorate the cake with fresh blueberries and blackberries and flowers for a more elegant look.
Background music: Sungazing by D.A.H. Trump (D.A.H. Trump) Artlist